CANAWAY FLEMING ARCHITECTS
The Great Eastern Street Viaduct is a remnant the Kingsland Viaduct built in 1860 as part of the North London City Extension linking the North London Railway line with Broad Street Station adjacent to what is now Liverpool Street. Currently the arches of the viaduct are used for light industrial and commercial activates. Over a period of time in this use, various lean to extensions, mezzanine floors and ad hoc services have been added, altering the appearance and condition of the original structure. Similar remains of the viaduct are found to the north of Great Eastern Street and are used as artists’ studios.
The remains of the railway viaduct have historical significance as a remaining piece of Victorian railway and industrial heritage in the London Borough of Hackney. The viaduct is now part of a larger mixed use residential lead development scheme called The Stage, located in Shoreditch, London. It is proposed that the viaduct structure will be restored and a new urban park and pavilion will be provided on the upper deck level where the tracks once stood. The arches below will be converted into retail units. Open public space will be created alongside the arches from which the form of the structure will be fully appreciated.
Canaway Fleming were appointed to provide concept design, heritage advice, town planning, detail design and production of tender information as lead consultant.
Great Eastern Street Viaduct